Berry Superfood Smoothie Bowls
This scenario happens often: I get on a smoothie kick and I make the same one again and again and again. Same time, same place, same smoothie. Tell me that this happens to you too?
This berry-spinach combo has been on repeat in my house for awhile now. I love it because it’s easy to keep frozen berries on hand and because the spinach taste is completely hidden. It’s packed with antioxidants and other healthy things and tastes simply amazing. This time I got extra fancy and dressed it up as a smoothie bowl. You could eat this as a healthy breakfast, but we also love it for dessert.
For my superfood smoothie bowl toppings, I use coconut flakes, hemp seeds, whole blueberries, and crushed freeze dried strawberries. Freeze dried strawberries are a new-to-me ingredient, but – um, wow – I’m hooked on them. They have such an amazing concentrated strawberry flavor. If you can’t find them, skip ’em, but they’re definitely a fun ingredient to seek out.
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries *(Rushmore Essentials Antioxidant Blend)
- 4 ice cubes
- splashes of light coconut milk (enough to get blender moving)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- handful of spinach
- optional: maple syrup or sweetener of your choice, to taste
- hemp seeds
- coconut flakes
- freeze dried strawberries
- Place the frozen berries, ice cubes, coconut milk, almond butter and spinach in a blender. Add acai powder, if using. Blend until smooth, adding additional coconut milk as needed. (As little as necessary so your smoothie will be thick). Taste and add maple syrup or sweetener of choice, if desired. Blend again.
- Pour into two bowls and top with hemp seeds, coconut flakes, blueberries and dried strawberries.
Love And Lemons, Jeanine Donofrio